Thursday, December 28, 2023

Melka Paderewski Vineyard Majestique Paso Robles

 



 

Well what a find here.  In case you didn’t know Philip Melka is the leading winemaking consultant in Napa right now.  Everything he touched turns into a 95+ rating.  He was born in Bordeaux.  He studied geology, advancing toward a Masters in Agronomy and Enology at the University of Bordeaux.  His first jobs in the USA were with Dominus and Ridge.  Then in 1995 he founded his consulting company and worked with such great wines as Lail Vineyards, Seavey Vineyard, and Constant Diamond Mountain.  Then he decided to make his own wines in 1996 and they say the rest say is history. 

As a sidebar here all of the labels have only his eyes staring back at you.  But the color of the eyes changes on every different bottle.  I have emailed the winery to see if there is a reason and will report back if they answer. 

Well I found this bottle and had to try it.  It Christmas time so what the heck right.  I can’t leave all my money to my son!  More on that below.

Let’s talk about the fabulous glass of wine.  The wine is from Paso Robles one of my favorite areas.  This one a Rhone Blend 42% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 28% Mourvedre, 18% Whole Cluster

As I have stated here before I love Rhone wines!  This one is very special for sure.

The color deep dark purple. The nose is so creamy it’s very unusual for sure.  Then it turns to soft flowers like Violets or Lilacs. Then the berries take over mostly red raspberries, strawberries. The nose is just amazing.  I could smell this wine all evening.  Then the first taste; so smooth, with balanced tannins, nice spice and great finesse over all. The finish is all over your month.  It leaves you really wanting the next sip.  This is simply a killer wine. 

 

As  I said above this on is a date night wine for sure.  But if you partner loves great wine you will really impress them with this jewel.  I know mine was blown away.  Expect to pay about $70.  I got mine for $67.99.  Well worth the splurge for the experience for sure.  

 

Cheers,

The Villages Wino

 

All wines available at Two Old Hags wine shop in Leesburg.  Unless otherwise noted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment